- Why Rent a Car in Lisbon
- When to Rent a Car in Lisbon
- Types of Cars Available for Rent in Lisbon
- Where to Rent a Car in Lisbon
- Tips for Finding Cheap Car Rentals in Lisbon
- How to Save Money on Car Rentals in Lisbon
- Best Car Rental Companies in Lisbon
- Rental Car Insurance in Lisbon
- Driving in Lisbon
- Parking in Lisbon
- Must-Visit Places in Lisbon by Car
Lisbon, the capital city of Portugal, is a popular destination among tourists. While public transportation is an option, renting a car can be an excellent way to explore the city and the surrounding areas. This guide will provide you with all the necessary information to rent a car in Lisbon affordably.
Why Rent a Car in Lisbon
There are many reasons why renting a car in Lisbon is a good idea. Firstly, it provides you with the flexibility and freedom to explore the city and surrounding areas at your own pace. You can plan your itinerary according to your preferences and avoid the hassle of public transportation. Moreover, renting a car can be a more cost-effective option, especially if you are traveling in a group.
When to Rent a Car in Lisbon
The best time to rent a car in Lisbon is during the low season, which is from November to March. During this period, rental rates are generally lower, and there are fewer tourists, making it easier to find available cars. However, if you plan to visit during the high season, which is from June to September, make sure to book your rental car well in advance.
Types of Cars Available for Rent in Lisbon
There are various types of cars available for rent in Lisbon, ranging from economy cars to luxury cars. The most popular options are economy cars, which are affordable and fuel-efficient. Additionally, there are minivans and SUVs available for larger groups or families.
For example, let’s take Localrent.com, which has been operating in Portugal for a long time. When you select a date and location, the results will be displayed immediately. You can limit them to the class of car you are interested in, for the example in the screenshot below we chose economy class.
To narrow down the results even more in the output, you can use filters: select box, fuel type, drive, extended insurance, child seat, second driver, and so on.
When you click on a particular car, you will get detailed information, be offered to choose additional equipment, and the amount of the deposit will be indicated. Pay attention to this point, as in the example on the screenshot, sometimes the deposit is asked to pay by credit card, not by debit card, so that in case of force majeure the bank could quickly deduct the money, increasing the credit limit and sending the rental company the necessary amount.
Also on the page of detailed information about the car and the rental conditions you will see what type of insurance and can choose additional options: child seat, second driver and so on. It also indicates how much you pay when booking.
The next step is your data, as well as the place where it is more convenient for you to get the car. In this example, we take the car already at the airport, which is very convenient and there is no need to order a cab.
After you pay the deposit, you will receive a confirmation voucher from Localrent.com. We recommend that you save it on your device just in case, so that you can show the document in case there is no internet connection.
Where to Rent a Car in Lisbon
There are many car rental companies in Lisbon, both international and local. You can find them at the airport, train stations, and city centers. But the best way to book at Localrent.com
Tips for Finding Cheap Car Rentals in Lisbon
Here are some tips to help you find cheap car rentals in Lisbon:
- Book your rental car in advance to get the best deals.
- Compare rates from different car rental companies.
- Look for discounts and promo codes online.
- Avoid renting from the airport as it can be more expensive.
- Consider renting from a local car rental company.
How to Save Money on Car Rentals in Lisbon
Here are some ways to save money on car rentals in Lisbon:
- Opt for a smaller car, as they are generally cheaper to rent and consume less fuel.
- Avoid renting a car for longer than you need it.
- Check if your credit card or travel insurance covers rental car insurance.
- Fill up the gas tank yourself before returning the car.
- Avoid renting additional accessories, such as GPS or car seats, as they can be expensive.
Best Car Rental Companies in Lisbon
Here are some of the best car rental companies in Lisbon:
Rental Car Insurance in Lisbon
When renting a car in Lisbon, rental car insurance is typically offered by the car rental company. This insurance covers the car against damages or theft. However, it can be expensive, so it’s important to compare rates and read the terms and conditions carefully before purchasing. Additionally, some credit cards and travel insurance policies may also provide rental car insurance coverage, so be sure to check if you already have coverage before buying additional insurance.
Driving in Lisbon
Driving in Lisbon can be a bit challenging, especially if you’re not used to driving on narrow streets and hills. However, the city has an extensive network of roads and highways that make it easy to navigate. It’s important to note that the roads in Portugal use the right-hand side of the road, and the speed limits are in kilometers per hour. Additionally, there are many toll roads in Portugal, so be sure to have some cash or a toll transponder with you.
Parking in Lisbon
Finding parking in Lisbon can be challenging, especially in the city center. However, there are many public parking garages available, which are generally safe and affordable. Some of the most popular parking garages in Lisbon include Parque Eduardo VII, Baixa-Chiado, and Martim Moniz.
Must-Visit Places in Lisbon by Car
Here are some of the best places to visit in Lisbon by car:
- Belem Tower – a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the most iconic landmarks in Lisbon.
- Sintra – a picturesque town located just outside of Lisbon, known for its fairytale castles and palaces.
- Cascais – a charming coastal town with beautiful beaches and a vibrant nightlife.
- Cabo da Roca – the westernmost point of continental Europe and a stunning natural attraction.
- Serra da Arrábida – a natural park with breathtaking views and hiking trails.
Renting a car in Lisbon can be an affordable and convenient way to explore the city and the surrounding areas. With the information provided in this guide, you can find the best car rental options and save money on your rental. Remember to compare rates, read the terms and conditions carefully, and drive safely. Happy travels!
- Do I need an international driver’s license to rent a car in Lisbon?
- No, a valid driver’s license from your home country is sufficient.
- Is it safe to drive in Lisbon?
- Yes, as long as you follow the traffic rules and drive defensively.
- Can I rent a car in Lisbon if I’m under 25 years old?
- Yes, but there may be additional fees and restrictions.
- What happens if I get into an accident while renting a car in Lisbon?
- Contact your rental car company and follow their instructions. It’s important to have rental car insurance to cover any damages or liability.
- How can I find the best car rental deals in Lisbon?
- Compare rates from different car rental companies, book in advance, and look for discounts or promo codes online.